Saturday 22 October 2011

Give em a taste of Kiwi!

New Zealand is tonight/this morning, sitting on the brink of the Rugby World Cup Final.  Even from London, I can feel the excitement and nervousness of a whole country holding its breath.  The truth is that I am holding my breath too and am wondering how I am going to sleep tonight.

I am feeling like I wish I was at home (not only are they 12 hours ahead so therefore closer to the game) (I know that’s not technically right but it feels that way)but they are also standing together in Black and going to go mental if we win.  And it’s that feeling of camaraderie that I am looking for.

Luckily, I know where to find it.  My nearest and dearest London family, will tomorrow be getting up at godawful  a clock for the last time.  For the last time the ritual will begin.  There will be a yummy cooked breakfast, there will be a mad scramble to the pub and a feeling like we are all in this together.  I have my black pompoms ready, I have my black outfit planned and am wearing my bone carving.  And I am nervous as hell.  I am looking forward to the haka and a good game of rugby.  Once the game is over, they will partying for the rest of the day.  I will be taking a party break to head to work for a few hours, I tried but could not get out of it.  But then I will be back, sad to have missed the pies and the pig on the spit, but glad to see my friends and have a few well earned (hopefully) celebratory drinks.

It’s been interesting being so far from home for this momentous tournament.  At every turn I have heard that the All Blacks are about to choke and that this we will be out.  I have sat quietly and heard about how the South Africans or the Welsh were going to take the cup.  Now it’s my turn.  I am so damn proud that the All Blacks are in the final.  And to all of you who have doubted – Look at the scoreboard, how you like them apples and suck on that.  Sorry but it had to be said.  I am scared for the All Blacks as there is a huge amount of pressure on them with a home crowd, but they have beaten the French before in this competition and I hoping that they will do it again.

I have loved the internet fun of this tournament.  I have Kept Calm when Piri has come on.  That is not true, I have jumped out of my seat and screamed my heart out when he has come on.  I have loved the pictures of man love moments.  I really enjoyed the pictures of Israel Dagg(er) taking off like a super hero.  I have been so proud of my country, who have been amazing hosts to this tournament.  I have been so excited to hear my 7 year old nephew name all of the players and to have him tell me that he supports Wales cause its his heritage.  He was gutted when they were out.

So New Zealand, no matter what happens tomorrow/today, you should be proud.  You should be proud that you made it this far, proud of the show that you put on, proud of the rugby that you have played.  And proud of the party that you have thrown.  I am proud of you beyond belief, my heart swells with it every time you run on the field.  Now All Blacks, lets Give’m a taste of kiwi and Let's get it started!!!!!!!

No comments: