Saturday 30 April 2011

Weddings always make me cry....

The Royal Wedding was fabulous!  I loved every second of it and think that it was the perfect day.  But I spent most of the day thinking about my best friend at home and missing her like crazy.  It all started very innocently with a few comments on facebook.

She was 100% right as well –if I was at home, I would have spent the night watching the wedding on her couch, the two of us either dressed up to pretend that we were there or more likely in our pjs.  We would have cracked a bottle of wine and put the kids to bed and then settled in for the ultimate girly night.  Who doesn’t love seeing a beautiful woman becoming a princess.  Or a young couple declaring their love.  Just that these two did it in front of the whole world.

We would have squealed with delight at the dress and Kate’s excited waving and her grin as she headed to the church.  And the way the Harry turned around and told Wills how beautiful she looked, and how Will told her that she looked beautiful when she finally met him at the alter.  We would have cried a few emotional tears during the vows.  We would have loved the dresses and the build up.  In short we would have been hanging out just like old times.  You see, her and I are like two peas in a pod and we love this kind of shit.  I am soooo looking forward to seeing her at Christmas and can’t wait for us to hang out and forget that I live in a different country for a few weeks.

Instead I spent a day that was both fun and exhausting with my best mate in London.  We watched the wedding in the pub and it was hilarious the way that we whispered as if we were there during it.  And I squealed with delight and clapped when Kate emerged from the hotel, and I cried a few sneaky tears thinking about how Diana would have been so proud of her darling boys.   Oh and those two kisses!   C indulged my wedding and royal craziness and we were both lamenting our lack of sleep seeing as we stayed up late watching American Idol the night before…

And then all hell broke loose.  And I spent the next 9 hours or so helping my friends avoid a small meltdown.  The British public partied in the only way they know how, binge drinking.  I love my friends and there was no way that I could sit down and have a few drinks whilst they barely held their heads above water in what was fast becoming a crazy situation.  So whilst I was planning on heading home for a sleep before the next two days of crazy working, I washed and dried just about every glass they owned.  But you know what?  I would not have had it any other way.  You see I think of these people as my family and I would never have walked away from that.  And I was indulging my inner bar wench (its a secret fantasy of mine to work in a bar, they think that I am nuts but seriously I love).  At the end of the night my feet hurt, I had burnt my finger on a plate, we had run out of vodka (this brought tears to my eyes) and I was exhausted but you know what?  We were in all it together, I had a big smile on my face, and bonus I found a few cans of  unopened Strongbow that someone had snuck into the pub.

I guess what it comes down to is this.  Weddings to me are about family and loved ones coming together to celebrate the love of a couple.  Yesterday, my family and loved ones celebrated that love and then we pulled together and made the day a success.  It may not have been the day that we had planned and it might have been hard, but to me this is the true essence of family and of what a wedding means.  This year when my sister gets married, it will be fair to say that I will have done pretty much nothing to help her out with the preparation, but then I am on the other side of the world.  But I am sure that when I get home, I will be put to work with any preparations that are required and for Christmas, so I will be put to good use again.  Oh and to those that call me a hopeless romantic for getting so damn sentimental about weddings, hell yeah, I believe in romance, and that it will one day be in my life, even if I am a hopeless singleton.

So have you ever stepped in to help a friend at a moments notice?  Where did you watch the wedding?  Were you overwhelmed by the loveliness of it all?

No comments: